top of page

Fixing Fred

My old 70s bug has had a plethora of issues that I have fixed up (and unfortunately never documented). One of the first things that I did was to revamp the battery. I replaced the bottom portion of the car where the battery sits because it was punched up and rusted out by some sort of damage in the past 50 or so years. 

Bottom of Car.jpeg

My old 70s bug has had a plethora of issues that I have fixed up (and unfortunately never documented). One of the first things that I did was to revamp the battery. I replaced the bottom portion of the car where the battery sits because it was punched up by some sort of damage in the past 50 or so years. 

The next parts that I did were to make the car "tricked out". I added seatbelts (request of my mom)- which you can see here. 

I then put the seats themselves on new tracks so that they could move back and fort - which was a bit of a bandaid. I made a small piece to put around a new radio and got a new radio (see here). 

Then, the other parts were in attempt to fix the engine and learn more about the car. 

Generating Heat for Michigan Winter -A Journey

IMG_7678.jpeg

So, when I decided I did not want to freeze in the winter, I looked up commercially aviable heating devices, and I found that you can either do gas powered or powered by electricity. Either I blow up in gas leak or find a way to route electricity. I chose option number two. 

 

First idea was to get one of those large heat coils, and I purchased one that looked a little like this, but then it turned out to be a major fire hazard so that got thrown away   

Iteration 1: Thermal Electric Generator Idea

Then, I starting doing some research on thermal electric generators, and went a little crazy on that. There is not much heat in the winter, but I am able to pull a good amount off of my engine.

So, I tried to basically make something like this, and used various types of materials to see how they would react to large amounts of heat. I used what people call "topological materials" - some of them that I tried doing thermodynamic calculations are niobium phosphide, tantalum phosphate, niobium arsenide, and tantalum arsenide. 

At the end of the day, I kept getting stuck at the portion in which you convert the heat captured by the material to electricty- I know it is possible I just don't have the knowledge + equiptment quite yet. 

But on my car you can see the bottom container that I bought + installed to get some insulation around the tubes that deliver heat away from my engine 

IMG_7672.jpeg
IMG_7671.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 1.41.03 PM.png

Iteration 2: Magnetic Generator

My last attempt - in my opinion the best attempt is going to be retrofitting a spinning device onto one of my secondary shafts. I want to be able to capture some rotational energy and make a magnetic generator! 

You can see me making and taking apart a mini one here. 

bottom of page